Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How am I going to sleep

Are wondering what are you going to sleep in? You will want to get a sleeping bag. There are a wide variety of sleeping bags out there. The sleeping bag that you pick needs to be close to the temperature that you will be camping in. There are two basic kinds of sleeping bags, a rectangular sleeping bag and a mummy sleeping bag. The mummy sleeping bag covers you all the way up. The only thing that is exposed is your face. With the rectangular sleeping bag your head is out and the top is open.


There is a zipper down the side in both sleeping bags to make it easier to get in and out of. Sleeping bags are rated in degrees, most start around a +40 and go down to -40 or more. I have a +20 degree sleeping bag and a +40 degree sleeping bag. The sleeping bag that I use the most is the +40 degree sleeping bag. I take the +20 sleeping bag and lay it on the mattress like a sheet. If I get cold I will cover the +40 degree sleeping bag with the +20 degree sleeping bag and stay nice and warm. I will sleep in my thermal underwear when it is cold out. I have spent many nights outside when the temperature was in the low 20's to high teens and stayed warm. Something to do also is use a blanket or two to help stay warm. I use a rectangular sleeping bag because it is less restrictive than a mummy sleeping bag. You want to think about what type of material you would like your sleeping bag to be out of. The fillings used in the sleeping bags are goose down and man made material - the outside is made of cloth or nylon. The inside of the sleeping bag is a fleece material. One thing to think about is goose down is nice and warm but it is heavy to carry, and if it gets wet it will take a long time to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment